Monday, May 17, 2010

Volcano Eyjafjallakull

The name of the Iceland volcano is about as ridiculous as the problems it caused us on Sunday. The volcano would chose to erupt again the day we fly to England. I am very frustrated that I am once again back home in Nappanee but it does make for a funny story that I'm sure we will all look back on and laugh about.

The day started out okay, I had seen reports on the news in the morning that the Iceland volcano was erupting again and was grounding flights but I wasn't to concerned that it would effect us, however, I turned out to be very wrong. When we arrived at the airport and took up my baggage to get checked we where informed that we had about a fifty fifty chance that our flight might get canceled; I figured that was a promising enough chance. We where told that if the flight canceled before we left Indianapolis we would not leave and if it got canceled when we arrived in Philadelphia we would turn around and go back to Indy. When we arrived in Philly we found out that indeed our flight had been canceled but instead of turning around and going back like I thought we would we ended up sitting on the floor of the check-in area for about seven hours while our professor stood in a long line waiting for someone to help us get out of Philadelphia. When our professor finally made it to the front of the line and was talking to a lady who seemed to be helping we received the news that the airlines was trying to fly us out of Philly on Tuesday where we would then fly to Frankfort, Germany and then on to Manchester the next day. During this process, however, the lady helping us decided to take an hour and a half lunch break in which we had to wait to finalize everything until she returned. Once we finally got help again we could no longer fly out on tuesday and now the plan was to send us all home in the morning because all flights had been canceled to the U.K. until Saturday. It wasn't until about 12:00 a.m until we had received our flight information and headed to claim our baggage and find somewhere to sleep and eat.

Since some of us left for home at 7:45 in the morning we did not want to go very far to find a hotel. There was a Marriot attached to the airport, which we thought we would give a try. When we got there, however, we were informed that all the rooms where booked. Not really knowing what to do we all just decided to sleep in the hallway outside of the hotel because it seemed safer than the baggage claim area. I nice man eventually let us in the hotel so we could grab something to eat in their restaurant. I ordered a philly cheesesteak, which was extremely overpriced may I add, but at the time I was so hungry I didn't really care how much it cost. After we ordered we took our food back up to the hallway where we ate and then tried to get a little bit of sleep before we had to check in. At 4:00 in the morning me and the 6 other girls who where on the first flight left to check in our baggage and wait in the terminal until we had to board.

The flight home went pretty quick and before I knew it I was back in Indianapolis where I was warmly welcomed by the lovely rain and cold. I am now at home and am very tired from the past two extremely long days. The plan is to fly out from Indianapolis on saturday again and hopefully the second time will be a success. Our professor, however, is working with the travel agent to hopefully get us a earlier departure date. I have no clue what I am going to do this week. It will most likely be consumed of boredom and eagerly waiting on trip updates. I may rethink my packing strategy and do some repacking this week. The past couple days have inspired me how to be a more efficient traveler and it's almost like being sent back home is like I have a second chance, to do it right this time (haha). I will probably take this time to also spend more time with friends and family. My first thoughts when coming back was that I had already said goodbye to everyone and now I have to do it all over again?! People probably just want me to get out of here already lol. I hope to take advantage of this time given me though and hang out with friends that will be going on adventures of their own this summer.

I am now working on about 2 hours of sleep over a two day period and am very excited for my bed. I ask that you pray for the flight details and that we will be able to get out of here soon so we don't fall to behind in the classes that we where supposed to begin this week. This setback has been very disappointing to me although I know there is a reason why it all happened. I just pray that all the girls including myself stay patient and encouraged over the next couple days while we wait on the details. Everyone was very good sports through this whole thing and no one got overly grumpy which I was really impressed with. I think that reveals how the rest of the trip will go, and if we could get through this weekend everything else will seem a breeze!

Sorry this blog does not have and stories of Liverpool, hopefully the next one will be more promising!
Thank you all for your prayers!

Cheerio!
Dani

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about all the delays. You will be there soon and having the time of your life. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete