Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kilts & Bagpipes

On Friday I went to Scotland for the day and it was amazing! I feel like i say that about everywhere I go but it's really true. Each place I have traveled to has been extraordinary in it own unique way. Scotland, had a very relaxing and tranquil atmosphere overall. Everyone was so friendly there and I felt very comfortable being a tourist there.

We left for Scotland early in the morning so we could maximize the amount of time we had there. It was about a four hour train ride and we arrived about 10 in the morning. The first thing we did when we got there was check out Edinborough Castle (Edinborough was the town we where in). The trek to the castle was all uphill. About everywhere we went in Edinborough was all uphill though so we definitely got our work out for the day. We didn't go in the castle because there was a 14 pound entrance fee but seeing the outside was good enough for me and after seeing several other castles they all kind of become the same.

From the Castle we walked down Royal Mile which is a road that starts from the castle and ends at Holyrood Park. This road was probably the main road for tourists. There are many shops along the way where you can stock up on Scotland gear including Kilts. I resisted purchasing a kilt but the thought crossed my mind numerous times through out the day because it would just be cool to say you have a kilt from Scotland. We ate lunch at a little cafe on Royal Mile and then continued down the road until we got to Holyrood Park. At Holyrood Park was Holyrood Palace and in the backdrop were beautiful hills that we courageously attempted to climb in our sandals in all. The hills where very steep and difficult to climb but when we made it to the top all the sweat and toil was worth it! From the top we could see the whole city and the Ocean. It was beautiful, and we just sat there for awhile taking it all in before we began the trek back down.

After our little adventure in the hills we decided to check out the Botanical Gardens. The map was a little deceiving on how far it actually was so it turned out to be quite a walk. Once we got there we walked around for a little bit but I was a little disappointed on the lack of flowers so we didn't stay to long. It was really pretty just not what I was expecting I guess. After the Botanical Gardens we walked back to the train station and caught the first train back to Liverpool.

I really enjoyed Scotland and Edinborough has probably been one of my favorite cities I have visited so far. Edinborough had  so much character and was just overall an enjoyable place to visit! Yesterday I just hung out in Liverpool and did some shopping. In the evening we went out to a pub for dinner and then came back to campus where we watched the U.S. World Cup game! Sadly, the U.S. lost which was disappointing so I'm hoping for an England win against Germany today!

Monday we go back to the schools and it will be our last week. It seems like I am just getting to know my students and we have to say goodbye already. I wish I could take them all back with me to the States!  I will miss them all SO much! After this next week we only have one more week in Europe, which will be spent in Italy! It will be a great way to end our trip and I am so excited! The first couple days we will be in Rome and then traveling to Sorrento and Capri from there!

I continue to thank you all for reading and praying! I have seen God's blessings in many ways on this trip! Before leaving for Europe I wasn't so sure that this was where I was supposed to be but every day God has shown me that I'm right where i need to be, which has been a great comfort. I am just so happy to be alive and to be a part of something so great!

With Much Love,

-------Dani

No comments:

Post a Comment